You must be 21 years old to enter this site
Please state that you are 21 or older

Get Free Email Updates!

Signup now and receive an email once I publish new content.

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

FAQ’s – Southern Maryland Relief

Frequently Asked Questions About The Maryland Medical Cannabis Program

1Do I need to go to a special clinic to get a medical cannabis card?
No. Any registered physician, dentist, podiatrist or nurse practioner, in good standing in Maryland can register with the Medical Cannabis Commission to issue certifications to qualified patients to obtain and use medical cannabis. Ask your primary care physician if she or he is registered, and discuss whether medical cannabis would benefit your medical condition.
2How do I get a "recommendation"
A patient needs an in-person visit with a registered physician with whom the patient has a "bona fide physician-patient relationship." If the patient meets the physician's criteria for treatment with medical cannabis, the physician will issue a written certification. The physician records the written certification on the Commission's website.
3What is a "bona fide physician-patient relationship"?
It means the physician has examined the patient, reviewed medical records, assessed the patient's medical history, maintains records on the patient, and will provide follow-up care to the patient as needed.
4What do I do after I get the "written certification"
The patient can go to any dispensary to pick up medical cannabis. Some dispensaries will deliver medical cannabis to the patient's home. The dispensary must check the Commission website to confirm that the patient has a "written certification" and confirm the patient's identity. The dispensary will record how much medical cannabis has been dispensed to the patient.
5How much medical cannabis and medical cannabis-infused product can a patient obtain in 30 days?
Most recommendations are for 4 oz of dried flower and 36 grams of THC per month.
6How long will it take to obtain a written certification?
After the doctor has examined the patient and the patient's records, the physician may issue the patient a written certification.
7Do I need a patient ID card?
8I am traveling and I want an ID card. Can I obtain one?
Yes. A patient ID card is optional. A patient ID card will cost $50. You can request an ID card when your written certification or apply for one later. If lost or stolen and replacement card will cost $100.
9Where can I legally travel with medical cannabis?
A legal patient may travel to any location in the state of Maryland. Maryland cannot authorize you to travelto other states or countries. Possession of cannabis is against federal law. Most states do not recognize legal medical cannabis. Many medical cannabis states will not recognize the validity of out-of-state medical cannabis authorizations.
10What happens if I am stopped by law enforcement?
Patients do not have to disclose that they are in possession of medical cannabis and do not have to consent to a search. However, if a search is conducted and medical cannabis is found, the patient should present their patient ID card or direct law enforcement to our database.
11How much medical cannabis (dried flower) can a qualifying patient passes at one time?
No more than 120 grams-- or approximately four ounces, unless a physician makes a special determination that a patient needs more.
12Is there a maximum amount of THC in an extract that a patient can get in a month?
Yes, 36 grams of THC.
13Will cannabis oil be considered a type of medical cannabis?
Yes, if a Maryland-Licensed processor produces the cannabis oil.
14How will patient confidentiality be assured?
Federal law (HIPAA) requires that we protect patient privacy and confidentiality. Our database will meet HIPAA standards and protect patient confidentiality.
15Can veterans get medical cannabis?
Veterans can obtain medical cannabis in the same way as other patients, but not from the Veterans Affairs health system. Veterans need to make sure that using medical cannabis will not disqualify them from Veterans Affairs health system procedures they might need.
16What if I want to obtain medical cannabis from a different dispensary?
A patient may obtain medical cannabis from a dispensary of their choice. The patient's written certification will be recorded in the Commission's database and can be confirmed by any licensed dispensary.
17I don't want to smoke cannabis. Will edible medical cannabis products be available in Maryland?
Medical cannabis will be available in forms that can be vaporized which is not smoking, or as extracts, lotions, ointments, tinctures, etc. Some extracts can be added to foods at home. Edible cannabis products will not be available from dispensaries in Maryland at this time.
18Will health insures cover the cost of medical cannabis?
Health insurers are not required to cover the cost of medical cannabis. Private health insurers are free under Maryland law to develop policies that will cover medical cannabis.
19Is there a residency requirement to participate in the medical cannabis program?
Any person who lives in Maryland can participate in the program. A person from out-of-state who is in the state for the purpose of receiving medical care can be issued a written certification and obtain medical cannabis, but must provide the address of the Maryland Facility where they are receiving care.
20Will Maryland dispensaries recognize other state medical cannabis ID cards?
Not at this time.


28105 Three Notch Road,
Mechanicsville, Maryland 20659


Call us at